Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Wealth

I was looking at a few photos of Hearst Castle, at the paneling, the ornate ceilings, the massively tiled indoor swimming pool, all of that - thinking that it was obscene that one person had that amount of wealth. Thinking that no one should have that much more money than others, acquired in their lifetime or not.   (Why, yes, I do vote Democratic, usually.)

I had though the same about the Vanderbilt Mansion.

Then I thought about our bank account, versus the bank account of the vast majority of people in this country.  (I had looked at a Federal Reserve estimate of average household net worth, a few years ago, and was surprised.)

Then versus the bank accounts of people in most other countries.  Particularly the ones in Africa, most of the mid-east, that sort of place.

Oh. So this is what it's like to be rich, huh?

1 comment:

Tabor said...

Yes, it is an eye-opener when you see the big picture!